Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Only God Knows Why...

Sometimes I wonder who I would be if I lived during a different era. I read this article a bit ago and it made me think. See my breastfeeding experiences were not all that good. And to be honest if I lived back in the 1800's I would be dead. My first born got stuck (my pelvis is bent I guess and his shoulders couldn't fit through), but even if I had survived child birth or the equivalent to a c-section back then, he wouldn't breastfeed. My second was born 3 weeks early and again probably wouldn't have survived due to his lungs being under developed. He spent his first week of life in the Neo-Natal nursery. I wasn't even allowed to see him for the first 24 hours, so how was I to breastfeed?  I suppose God knew that the 1800's just wasn't the place for me or my babies. He must put a lot of thought into who a person is and when would be the right time for them. I have to believe it's not by mistake or coincidence.
However it makes me think of the women who did live back then and how often they must of lost babies or died due to complications in pregnancy and delivery. How strong they had to be.  These women were our grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and great-great-grandmothers. In the scheme of things that wasn't that long ago.

No comments: